Wednesday, April 8, 2009

in search of spring



Now, I just wonder if spring has given us a pass here in New England. The snow was flurrying this morning when Lily and I took our little first walk. The sun came out to tease us for about a half hour at around 9:00, but then it scurried away and now it is grey and sad out there. For this reason, I would like to return to my bed with a book about the beach. Instead it will be spring cleaning and baby knitting for me today. I keep imagining that if I spring clean the inside of the house, then mother nature will notice how bright and shiny it is and warm us up. I hope for a summer so long and hot that my wool will stick to my fingers as I knit and my beads will stick to my  hands so that I curse the heat. Ha! Of course, anyone who uses needles of any type will know that we simply adjust the materials to fit the weather and I will do that as well. Silks and cottons, and pre-strung beads to knit into something cool and lacy will be the order of the season. Sigh! 
But, there is hope. I have been knitting tiny things for baby gifts. They make everything more hopeful. Sweet little garments of light, soft colors. They make me smile and know that summer will come and bring sweet little people to wear them. 

No comments: