Sunday, April 26, 2009

The First Breath of Summer

Just 3 days ago, I slipped on my winter jacket to take the pup for her morning walk. This morning I slipped on my shorts and sandals to do the same. Spring in New England is such a fickle thing. One morning it is 28 degrees and flurries fill the sky and the next it is 61 and sunny and birds have taken the place of the flurries. 
The warmth is so welcome after the cold winter we had this year. I love to hear the birds in the quiet of the early morning. They seem so delighted to be making nests and hunting for worms. I have seen many robins tugging away at the earth and then hopping away with their prizes. 
My hummingbird feeder is full of fresh nectar and waiting for the hummers to arrive. They generally arrive by Mother's Day and I take that as a gift from mother nature herself, just for me. 
Spring cleaning goes on in fits and starts. Windows have been washed and curtains switched out for happy warmer colors. 
I begin to put away my wools and pull out the cottons and silks.....and you thought I meant clothes, but I do mean yarn. Winter knitting is hidden away and summer knitting season begins. This spring it has been baby gifts and bright colored bags. I have a list of patterns I want to try. A pretty top from a magazine, a new beaded purse and perhaps  a cotton/silk sweater. 
In between the shining up of the house and spiffing up of the yard, I want to straighten out the fibers. Organize the yarns, color code the beads and alphabetize the crafting library. So much to do and so much ambition. However I will most likely take some needles and yarn and retire to a comfy chair in the shade and knit.
Sigh
I do love summer.

No comments: